Friday, July 07, 2006

Things are a bit awkward between me and my cellmate

Apparently, it's against the law to leave the scene of an accident, so, since I was out on probation for hitting Les LaFoiegras in the face with a hammer last week, I've been placed back in jail in the same cell I was in before. Things are a bit awkward between me and my cellmate because of what happened the last time I saw him.
"Oh, hi," he said when he realized I was back. "I was, you know, meaning to, uh, call you, but, you know, I've been real busy in here."
"Yeah, right," I replied, with a hint of sarcasm in my tone.
"And, uh, I only, you know, get one phone call, uh, a day, and, uh, I didn't, you know, have your number or anything."
"It's scratched right here on the wall," I said. "I told you that, so don't pretend like you didn't know."
"Oh, right," he said. "I, uh, lost my, uh, phone privileges last week, so, you know, I, uh, couldn't call."
"Don't fucking lie to me!" I screamed. "Just stop lying! Okay?"
"Okay," he replied quietly.
We sat in silence for a few minutes. Then we both reached for the newspaper that sat between us at the same time and our hands brushed against each other. We looked into each other's eyes.
"I'm sorry I didn't call," he whispered.
"I know you are," I said. "I know you are."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home